Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Gluten Free Bread - The good, the bad and the ugly.

Hi Everyone! 

I'm going to do a little review of a few gluten free breads I have tried. I live in Boston where glutie's seem to have it made pretty well. That being said, you may not being able to find all of these at your local grocery store, but likely at a natural foods store. I'll be reviewing Three Bakers - Seven Ancient Grains, Udi's - White Sandwich Bread, Udi's - Whole Grain Bread, Schar - Classic White Bread, King Arthur - Gluten Free Bread Mix, and Rudi's - Gluten Free Classic Sandwich Bread.

Three Bakers:
This is the best bread I've had yet. I tried it once because my grocery store was out of my old staple, Udi's. Best mistake ever! This bread is much heartier than Udi's. It does not crumble as you eat your sandwich and has much more flavor. I like the Seven Ancient Grains because I'm a whole wheat kind of girl, but their classic white sandwich bread has great flavor and texture too. It seems to be a little more expensive than Udi's at my grocery store, but worth the extra 50 cents!


Udi's - White Sandwich Bread and Whole Grain Bread:
If your grocery store only has one kind of gluten free bread, it is probably this one. This used to be my go-to until I discovered Three Bakers. They are both good. The whole grain is a little heartier, which I like. The white bread tends to be a little drier I think. The drier consistency is great for one thing - breadcrumbs! I always make breadcrumbs out of the two end pieces, put them in a Tupperware and into the fridge so they're always there when I need them.

Schar - Classic White Bread:
This bread is nice because it isn't frozen. However, it is very dry. I just saw on the website that they have a new recipe so maybe the new recipe is less dry. While I was in Italy, this was the only kind of gluten free bread I could find. Schar does make a lot of other bread products that are very good, but I don't particularly like their sandwich bread. Their dinner rolls are very good as well as their baguette. You pop them in the oven for a few minutes and their warm, soft and fluffy. 

King Arthur - Gluten Free Bread Mix:
This bread mix is delicious. It is a mix, so you have to make it yourself but let me tell you, if you have the time it is so worth it. This is a plain mix so you could add your own flavors if you wanted to spice it up a little bit. If you slice it up once it cools you can put it in the freezer and it will keep for longer. The texture of this bread is just wonderful. It is much more moist than the pre-made breads and has great flavor. It only takes a few ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen! 

Rudi's - Gluten Free Classic Sandwich Bread: 
To be completely honest, I don't like this bread very much. I've given it a few fair tries because it seems to be easy to find and in a lot of grocery stores but I'm not exactly sure why! It is very dry and I would almost rather eat my sandwich has a lettuce wrap than on this bread. I haven't tried all the different kinds so I can't speak to all of them, but I wasn't a big fan of the class sandwich bread. 

No comments:

Post a Comment