Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Pillsbury Gluten Free Products

Pillsbury recently came out with three gluten free products. You can see them all here. They have a pizza crust, pie/pastry crust and chocolate chip cookie dough. All are pre-made refrigerated items so you can find them in your grocery store with the other refrigerated cookie dough products. My local grocery store had only the pizza crust, so I got that a few weeks ago. The crust was definitely a thin crust pizza. It was a little bit dense and chewy for me. While I know I'll never again get that tear-it-apart, fluffy pizza crust that is full of gluten, the pillsbury dough wasn't the best substitute. I've tried many other gluten free pizza crusts on the market and would prefer the Against the Grain crust or the Namaste crust over pillsbury. Against the grain is already prepared, the Namaste needs a little preparation. 

We went to a different grocery store this weekend and to my surprise they had the pie crust and the cookie dough. Perfect timing as Mike and I had just gone apple picking so I could try the crust out with an apple pie! I used this Dutch Apple Pie recipe from Ali over at Jam Hands. I substituted King Arthur gluten free flour for the flour in the filing as well as the flour in the topping. I followed the directions on the pie crust packaging for the crust. While the crust was not light and flakey like your ideal pie crust, it is pretty darn good for gluten-free! I used to use the whole foods frozen pie crusts, but found that they were usually cracked in the bottom or were not quite done when the filling/pie were done. The pillsbury crust came out great! I make a lot of pecan pies during the holiday season so I will try it again for the first pecan pie of the year!

Dutch Apple Pie with Pillsbury Crust

While studying I needed a little "brain food," or I just needed an excuse to feed my sweet tooth and remembered I got the Pillsbury chocolate chip cookie dough! This cookie dough is great because it is in a plastic container so you don't have to use the whole thing at once. The cookies take 10-12 minutes to cook, one minute to cool and about 5 seconds to enjoy. These cookies were great! I used to love to Tollhouse container of pre-made cookie dough and these are just about as good. They are soft with delicious sweet flavor that is not fake tasting. Great job, Pillsbury!

Pillsbury Chocolate Chip Cookies





1 comment:

  1. I'm going to have to try these!. I have been craving a peach pie!

    ReplyDelete